Recruitment and Selection Procedures
Recruitment Procedures for Volunteers
As Carmelites, we acknowledge that it would not be possible to carry out our varied ministries without the generous support of many people. Volunteers assist us greatly by giving freely of their time and skills. It is important, therefore, that we show them due respect and courtesy. At the same time, it is necessary that we have procedures in place which guarantee a safe environment for all.
Therefore, reasonable steps must be taken so that all volunteers who work with and/or come in contact with children are appropriately recruited by the Order to do so. This includes conducting the following procedures for all volunteers:
- If relevant, Garda Vetting (See Garda Vetting Policy).
- The volunteer should complete the adult volunteer application form, which includes a declaration stating that there is no reason why he/she would be considered unsuitable to work with children. The volunteer will also be asked to provide two references from people not related to them.
Once appointed the following elements are essential:
- Ensuring the volunteer is inducted in the Order’s Child Safeguarding Statement and child safeguarding procedures and that they agree to follow these by signing an induction agreement form.
- Ensuring the volunteer agrees to abide by the Order’s code of behaviour.
- Ensuring the volunteer agrees to report all safeguarding concerns to the DLP in the Safeguarding Office.