Articles on Carmelite Spirituality or by Carmelites
Carmelite Spirituality Index
Throughout the centuries a particular spirituality has developed within the Carmelite Order with Mount Carmel being a constant theme along with the twin themes of Mary and Elijah. The links below give some flavour of that spirituality and thought both from the distant past and also from our own days. Some of the writings are available within our own site while others will take you to pages outside of our site.
By Saints of the Order:
Saint John of the Cross
Saint Thérèse of Lisieux (Thérèse of the Child Jesus)
Saint Teresa of Avila (Teresa of Jesus)
Blessed Titus Brandsma
Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection
By Modern Writers
Most Rev. Joseph Chalmers, O.Carm.
Christopher O'Donnell, O.Carm.
- Elizabeth of the Trinity - Talk given for the Closing of the Centenary Celebrations
- A modern presentation of Carmelite Spirituality: The 1995 Constitutions III
- Reflections on the Rosary - An Advent Reflection
- The Gentle Presence Of Mary - For the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - A Reflection
- Faith in Practice: Serving the Kingdom - A vision for Catholic Schools
- The Most Beloved of God - A Reflection on the Immaculate Conception
- What is Resurrection? - An Easter Reflection
Patrick Burke, O.Carm. (From a series of short reflections for a Lay Carmelite Newsletter)
Fintan Burke, O.Carm.
Pat Mullins, O.Carm.
Eltin Griffin, O.Carm.
- Living Prayer: Thoughts from the Catechism of the Catholic Church
John Lawler, O.Carm.
Matthew Aherne, O.Carm
John Keating, O.Carm.
Míceál O’Neill, O.Carm.
David Twohig, O.Carm.
John Russell, O.Carm.
Ernest Larkin, O.Carm.
Carlos Mesters, O.Carm.
Patrick McMahon, O.Carm.
- Garment of Grace: A historical appreciation of the Carmelite Scapular
Patrick Breen, O.Carm
Miscellaneous Sources for Scholars and those in studies